Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Every Needle Tells a Story



Working on cleaning out my studio this week. A project I've been putting off for months (okay, more like a year). Starting this blog and planning to open an etsy shop has made me see the value of a little organization. Mixed-media projects require a lot of supplies and my one small room houses a sewing table, paint table, ironing board, bookshelves and the "stashes." It's the stashes that have gotten out of hand. The biggest stash, by far, is vintage linens.
I looove vintage linens and believe that every needle tells a story. So when I find a tattered tablecloth or dresser scarf, or hankie that has been painstakingly hand-stitched, I like to try and extend that story by including it in a work of my own...


A bit of the stash...


Little gift bags.



Old text printed on vintage linen and embroidered.

Background and text printed on vintage linen.

Flowers from  a dresser scarf, dotted Swiss from a doll dress.
To print on vintage linen, iron it to the shiny side of freezer paper which has been cut to fit your printer. Then cross your fingers. It usually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!