Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's Soup Day!

Been waiting for a rainy day to make and share my favorite soup recipe. Found this recipe in Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly, Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker, page 164. This is the book that made me dust off my crock-pot a few years ago and start slow cooking again.



Seriously, y'all this is comfort food at its comfiest.You won't know whether to eat it or crawl into the bowl and take a nap. While this book is out of print you may buy the revised edition,
Fix-it and Forget-It Lightly, Revised and Updated:600 Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker. Cream Cheese Potato Soup is on page 165 in this edition.

Cream Cheese Potato Soup

3 cups water
1 cup ham
5 medium-sized potatoes, diced fine
8-oz. pkg.fat-free cream cheese, cubed
half an onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1.Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on high 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. Turn to low until ready to serve.

Makes 6 servings. Ideal slow-cooker size 3 1/2 qt.
The vegetarians in my family tell me it's very tasty without the ham. I find that one ham steak is just the right amount. I like to garnish with a bit of cheddar cheese and a sprinkling of turkey bacon.

This recipe is very forgiving. Cooked longer, it just gets thicker and more baked-potatoey. If you're lucky enough to have leftovers, you can thin it with a little broth, water, or milk. I like to give my slow-cooker a good spritz of cooking spray before I start, to make clean up easier. So, go make some this weekend and be comforted! You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!