Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

EASING INTO FALL

It's no secret that I love this time of year. Here on the shore, it's a long slow slide into fall. Mother Nature can't seem to decide what she wants to wear. The roses and crepe myrtle and rose of sharon are still in bloom, but everywhere are tempting glimpses of the fall color to come. Mornings are misty, and every leaf and blade and web is hung with diamond dewdrops. It's a pleasure to step outside.
Today is warm and muggy, but by Sunday the expected high is just 60 degrees. And so it will go, up and down, until finally the chill is here to stay.
I'm not in a hurry. I like to savor these days and walk round the neighborhood with my camera, storing memories for the dismal winter months.


I'm always a bit nostalgic in the fall. I think it's the most romantic time of year. A part of me longs to be back in Susan Brown's parents' garage. Seventeen, and up to my elbows in paper mache. Working on a Homecoming float, and falling in love with a lanky teenage boy. That man who is with me still.
Hope you're enjoying the outdoors and storing memories of your own. Hope you have someone to cuddle  when the frost comes. 
XO







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!