Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

SPEAKING OF ROSES


"I haven't much time to be fond of anything...but when I have a moment's fondness to bestow, most times...the roses get it. I began my life among them in my father's nursery garden, and I shall end my life among them, if I can. Yes. One of these days (please God) I shall retire from catching thieves, and try my hand at growing roses." ~ Wilkie Collins
Do you know Mr. Wilkie Collins? One of my favorite authors, Victorian era novelist and playwright,  life-long friend of Charles Dickens, and a must read for fans of British country house mysteries.  Some say that the genre began with his novels, The Moonstone, and The Woman in White.

"Won't you come into my garden? I would like my roses to see you." ~ Richard Brinsley Sheridan


"He who plants thorns must never expect to gather roses." ~ Arabian proverb and truer than true, don't you think?
Spent blooms have their own glory. I'm hoping.

Hope things are coming up roses at your house. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!