Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Monday, June 17, 2013

PLAYING WITH PORTALS

Another mixed-media doorway finished today. Inspired by an abandoned house pic that I took while biking in Dorchester County last week. The honeysuckle growing around the door caught my eye, and of course I had to add a snake, because that was the day we pedaled through flooded roads. With SNAKES.
Here's the original photo...



Tweaked a bit to soften the edges...


This time I included a few paper scraps and text from a nineteenth century book on housekeeping. As always, I first printed the photo onto fabric, then embellished with machine and hand stitching, and scraps from vintage fabrics and previous projects.


The bit of walkway is from a pic of oyster shells I took at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum yesterday. Oyster shells are gravel on the Eastern Shore

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!