Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DATE BALLS AND TOFFEE: IT'S BEGINNING TO TASTE A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

I have a big long to-do list for today. I've already made three batches of Date Balls and two batches of English Toffee. Want to include some goodies in my packages to those who won't be home for Christmas, and I really have to get those in the mail tomorrow. 
Did not get off to a great start this morning, however. I didn't sleep very well so I was not sharp as a tack when I came in from the barn and poured my morning cup of tea, adding a good slug of what I thought was coconut milk.
I really can't recommend chicken broth in your PG Tips. 
You have to admit, the cartons are diabolically similar.
Things can only go up from there, right? I make these date balls every year, and it is apparently impossible to make too many. 
The toffee is cooling so I can break it into pieces. The hard part is finding a good place to let it cool where it will be safe from counter surfers.
The Christmas crackers arrived a few minutes ago! A nice British tradition to go with our Mexican feast on Christmas Eve.  I think food tastes better when you're wearing a funny hat.

Date Balls
8 oz. chopped dates
1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
Pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups crisped rice cereal
Cook first five ingredients over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cereal and vanilla. Shape and roll in 10X sugar.
I usually make them about the size of a truffle.

What's cooking at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!