Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Date Balls and Decorating

Still a little miffed with my Christmas tree for flinging itself onto the hardwood three days ago (see 12-12 post), smashing so many of my favorite ornaments. So I turned my attention outdoors and finished this garland for the front door. Started with a fake garland and added fresh greens until I was satisfied with its fullness. I think it looks pretty good!
Ran  Christmas-y errands. Then a quick ride where Zoey tried to dump me, yet again!  She's determined to buck me off me and I'm equally committed to not hitting the ground. Hitting the ground is a young girl's game, 50-somethings don't bounce. We just lie there. 
Now here's a treat for you, Date Balls. I remember my mother-in-law making these when my husband and I were dating, then we sort of forgot about them for awhile. Other treats took their place. We started making them again a few years back and they're a favorite with my kids. Very easy! So tasty!

Date Balls
8 oz. chopped dates
1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans)
Pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups crisped rice cereal
Cook first five ingredients over low heat for 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Add cereal and vanilla. Shape and roll in 10X sugar.
I usually make them about the size of a truffle.


Now I've no choice but to finish that wretched tree. 
Hope you're taking a little time to be merry amidst all your Holiday racing around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!