Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY (SUGAR COOKIES!)



Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I made cookies for you. I'll share the family sugar cookie recipe and you can make some too. 
While I like fat chewy cookies loaded with extras, sometimes simple is just soooo good. There's nothing like a sugar cookie with a hot cup of something to dunk it in.
A couple of notes: we watch our fat and cholesterol around here, so I used Smart Balance instead of shortening. This gave them a slight tendency to stick, so I sprayed my cookie sheets with an organic canola oil.  Flour your rolling surface generously and divide the dough into quarters. It's easier to roll out that way.
Enjoy!


SUGAR COOKIES
Sift together:
1 1/2 c. flour
1/t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
Cut in: 
1/2 c. shortening
Blend in:
1 egg
2 t. milk
1 t. vanilla


Roll out on a floured board to about 1/16th  inch thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutters. place on ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees. Yields 3-4 dozen depending on the thickness.




"May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light,
May good luck pursue you each morning and night."
Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!