Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Monday, July 2, 2012

LAZY HAZY DAYS

July and August are when we Eastern Shore folk pay for our early spring and our lovely, long Indian summer. It is stinkin' hot and humid. No fun to be outside, unless in or on the water. 
Mr. C. and I took the advice of Harry Truman this weekend, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Tried a new restaurant in Trappe, The Hidden Gem,for breakfast and dinner. I recommend the shrimp salad and blackened catfish. Barbecued chicken from Scott's Methodist Church for Saturday lunch. Saturday evening, we moseyed down to the Hyatt in Cambridge for dinner at the Blue Point Provision Company. Had a really fantastic barbecued salmon over sobo noodles. Did I get pictures? No, I did not. Too lazy, and hazy.
I did venture out to an estate sale on Island Creek on Friday. Found this little cutie...
Think I'll use this as a downstairs sewing box.
Mostly, I'm just trying to survive the heat, and keep my critters safe and happy. The horses are content to spend their afternoons showered and under fans in the barn. The pups have their wading pool and dips in the river...Me? I'm an outdoor kinda girl, but these are the days that try my patience. By 8am, I had been attacked by an earthworm and nearly choked on a giant bug.  I came in from feeding the horses and my Mister asks, "Is your leg bleeding?"  What looked like a trickle of blood,  was actually a worm stuck to the back of my calf. I believe I said something like, "Eeeeeeeeee, get it, get it, get it off!" One of us was amused. When did earthworms learn to jump? Went back out to clean stalls and a giant bug (something akin to Mothra), flew into my mouth as I gasped my way back from the manure pile with my wheelbarrow. Get me out of this stinkin' fresh air!
Today was slightly less humid so we took an after dinner walk down to the river, where I dug up this little treasure...
Dalby's Carminativ. A 19th century flatulence cure.
Snapped some wildflowers...
Queen Anne's Lace
?
Moseyed home. Even though it's Monday, and we usually reserve our moseying for Saturday, it's just too darn hot to pick up the pace. Trying to look on the bright side. We did not lose power in the weekend storms, and it's tomato time...
Eastern Shore tomatoes. That's something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!