Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

HURRICANE PREP AND DOWNRIGGING WEEEKEND

Well now, looks like we're about to get a big old storm. There isn't a flashlight or generator left in the mid-shore area. We are as ready as we can be. My biggest concern is, always, a power outage which means I can't run water for the horses. I have filled every available bucket and tub with water. We have extra propane in case we're reduced to cooking on the Weber, my laundry is done, patio furniture is stowed, the Kindles are charged, ditto all camera batteries and cell phones. We have bottled water, non-perishable food, dry fire wood, plenty of hay, and gas in our tanks. Tomorrow, I'll duct tape emergency info. to the horses' halters, in the unlikely (I hope) event that the barn blows down. I even have a stash of Beaverdam bones for the dogs, who are likely to be bored before it's all done. 
Having done most of my hurricane prep yesterday, Mr. C. and I moseyed up to Chestertown for Downrigging Weekend. I can't believe we've never been to this event before. Sadly, all the Sunday activities are cancelled due to the impending storm. If you like to stroll the tree-lined streets of a waterfront community while ogling historic homes, not to mention schooners, Chestertown is the place for you.
Let's follow the yellow brick road...


You had to know there'd be dogs.


Pride of Baltimore II, again. She's going to think we're stalking her.
Sultana
A "box turtle" bird-watching boat.
Sultana

A. J. Meerwald
Finished the afternoon here, with a Nutella latte. What? I've been really good this week, and hurricane prepping burns a lot of calories! Visit the Evergrain Bread Co. here.

Home, and a little peep of sunset before "Frankenstorm." 
Be safe, my friends. XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!