Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Friday, January 4, 2013

COLLECTING

Now that all that holiday business is over, I've been putting my house in order. As I move from room to room, dusting and straightening, I've been thinking about my collections. I'm a winter nester and the cold and dreary months are an excellent time to browse antique and thrift shops and find a little treasure or three. Also, a good time to weed out and declutter. I keep a Goodwill box going all the time.

My rules for collecting:
1. Don't spend a lot of money on any one item. If you can help it.
2. Only buy what you truly love.
3. It doesn't have to be perfect. A bit of crazing adds to the charm.
4. At auctions, decide in advance what your highest bid will be. Then sit on your hands.

Let's take a little peek at my dog collection. I don't just collect real ones you know.
Partial to scotties.
Yes, that's dog spit on the window. I collect that too.
Corner detail on a framed picture of a beagle. A beagle was our first "married" dog. 
I'll buy a single bookend, if I really love it.
My laundry room window. I started with  little planters like this, but only collect the white ones now. White pottery, that's another collection.
I love them all, but my very favorite is this leather and wood riding crop. Even more special because it was found in a relative's attic.
Isn't that a great face?
And of course, books...always books.
 I'd love to know what you collect. Send me some pics of your favorite collections and I'll share them in a future post. Okay? XO.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!