Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

EVERY NEEDLE TELLS A STORY: DORCHESTER

As you know, I've spent a lot of time in Dorchester County with my camera over the past several months, and as much as I love Blackwater National Wildlife refuge and all the waterfowl photo-ops, I'm equally intrigued by the many old churches and abandoned homes. Recently, I've begun to incorporate them into my artwork.
With a picture of a church window as the background, I added machine and hand stitching, snippets of vintage fabrics, and scraps of paintings and photos that I'd transferred to fabric for previous projects. The picture of the smaller barred window was taken on Elliott Island and I believe the church window is on the way to Hooper's Island. The egret photo was taken at Blackwater. The vintage photos are from my stash. 
There are so many locations where the marsh seems to be reclaiming these old buildings. I should stitch faster before they're gone. Every needle tells a story.

The original photo...


 The finished piece.
8 X 11 fabric and mixed media
XO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!