Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

FRIED (BUT NOT) GREEN TOMATOES, AT MY HOUSE

Yesterday, while I was blathering on about my dogs, I think I mentioned that I was making fried green tomatoes for dinner. Only they were supposed to be baked, because we don't fry here at BarnBug. In the end,  I did fry, because I didn't realize how long it takes to "bake" fried green tomatoes, and the peanut-crusted tilapia, and beans and rice, were well on their way to the table before the tomatoes were ready for the oven. I know, poor planning.
Peanut-crusted tilapia.
l browned them ( I have trouble saying the f-r-y word) in a teensy bit of olive oil, and they were amazing, though Mr. C. thought they weren't quite as sweet as the ones we'd had at Rustico.
Well now, Mr. C. won't be home for dinner tonight, so I thought I'd give it another go, and bake.
Awesomely awesome! Just as crunchy as the "browned" ones from last night. They were sweeter, as well. The tomatoes I bought today were greener and firmer, if that makes a difference. I like mine with ranch or blue cheese, also good with ketchup or marinara.
Here's the recipe, but keep in mind that this is very tweak-able, according to your taste.


Baked/Fried Green Tomatoes

1/2 c. cornmeal (or whole wheat flour)
1/4 c. seasoned bread crumbs
2 or so T. ground flax seeds 
1 egg
1 T. water
1/4 t. black pepper
1/4 t. ground red pepper
1/2 t. salt or garlic salt
2 large or 3 med. green tomatoes
organic cooking spray/olive oil
Whisk together the egg and water. Mix dry ingredients. Slice the tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices. Dip the tomato slices in the egg mixture, then dredge in dry ingredients. Place in a baking dish coated with cooking spray and bake 40 min. at 450 degrees, turning once. Alternatively, brown in a skillet in olive oil.
Eat them with a bit of this.


And call it dinner! Just let me say, that I believe there can be no higher calling for a tomato, than to be plucked before its prime, dredged in crumbly goodness and baked golden brown.
For the faithful few (including my MIL, who is my biggest fan and would comment more if she could just figure out how), and the kindly new readers who took the time to comment this week, you are my sunshine. Truly!
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!