Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Friday, September 27, 2013

YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO MAKE A BAD DECISION

There has been a fair bit of sprucing up and de-cluttering going on around here, lately. We bought a new entertainment center for the family room,
Out with the old.
In with the new. That's The Lady Vanishes on the TV, 1938 version. Don't you just love Hitchcock?
It seemed like a good idea to move the old armoire upstairs. It would be a good place to store photos and wrapping paper and such. "We'll just pop that bad boy upstairs," we said. What could possibly go wrong?
 We could have, and most definitely should have, stopped at this point, bearing in mind that we are in our fifties, with three back surgeries between us, and to be fair, Mike did ask if we were being unwise to attempt this on our own. In flip-flops. But nah, there's a line between ill-advised and stoopid, and we stepped our flip-flopped feet right over it.
 Mike felt he should be at the bottom with me at the top, but I thought pulling was harder on my back than pushing, so we switched places. That was a bad decision. Very bad. Step by step, we inched our way up. Halfway to the landing, I could feel my grip slipping, and I didn't want to alarm DH, but mentally I was making some hard choices, like whether it was better to have fractured ribs and a ruptured spleen or broken legs, cause when it all went south, I planned to try and launch myself out from under. "I think we should stop," I managed to wheeze. "Good idea," he agreed, we just couldn't figure out how to make that happen. He couldn't let go without crushing me, and I was barely holding on, but ever so slowly, we managed to back it down, vowing never to attempt anything remotely like that again. Ever.
 After a bit of brainstorming, we decided that Mr. Big Honking Armoire would look just dandy in the little library, where he could house my printers and supplies. Mr. Governor Winthrop desk could come out of the library and live happily in the living room, where he'd look very handsome against the buttery yellow wall. A sensible Plan B.
Mike added more shelves.

Hope you make good choices this weekend, but if not, please lift with your knees. And don't wear flip-flops. XO.































No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!