Life, art, and nature on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

JANUARY

Sinclair Lewis said, "Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." So true for me at present.  I am occupied with mud. Wiping it from paws, picking it out of hooves, brushing it from horse hair. Trying to keep it from taking over the house. Abby rolls in it every time I take her blanket off, then I have to brush it out before I can blanket her again. I find myself looking forward to the bitter cold days that freeze the ground and offer a respite.                                                         
Last week our girl visited. She brought young Gus, and a rotten cold, and we were delighted to have her. A bright spot in a dull month. We rambled around with our cameras, revisiting some favorite spots, and even venturing back out at night to catch the full moon and the lighthouse in the fog.
Mud wrestlers.
View from the dock at Old Trinity Church.
This one is definitely going to become a mixed-media piece.
Heron at Blackwater.
I love how clear the river water becomes in winter.
Wolf moon.
Hope you're finding some bright spots in your January. 
XO 

4 comments:

  1. J has had a bad cold all week too. It just keeps hanging on. :-( The photos are unbelievably beautiful. I so completely agree about wishing the ground would freeze - ours is now frozen but a few weeks ago it wasn't and it was an absolute mess. Today it's snowing beautiful little fluffy flakes. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now it looks as though we're going to have some real snow. It was 50 degrees today, so I had to take Abby's blanket off, but she was kind and did not roll in the mud. In addition to the snow, we're about to have another polar vortex, so I'll be tucking everyone in snugly, and hoping the power stays on. Hope J is feeling better soon. This changeable weather has my sinuses throbbing.

      Delete
  2. Mary the photos are incredible. Love that old house and can't wait to see what you sew up with this image. Stay healthy.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Now, we're waiting for a winter storm, so I should have time to work on that old house, and time to wander in the snow with my camera.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!